Today is National Mutt Day! There’s nothing we love more than a good mutt, guessing what a dog is mixed with is one of our favorite games!
Every dog within a single breed is still an individual, but all breeds have definable characteristics; for example, Labrador Retrievers are generally known to love water, Greyhounds are known for their super speed and Terriers have a stubborn streak.
Here’s a few fun breed facts:
- Most dogs can reach a speed of 19mph when running at full speed, Greyhounds can reach up to 40mph!
- The worlds smartest dogs are thought to be:
- Border Collie
- Golden Retriever
- The Basenji is the worlds only “barkless” dog
- Louis Doberman, a tax-collector, created the Doberman in the late 1860’s to protect him while working
- Shit-Zu’s were bred to be foot warmers for Chinese royalty
- The oldest dog ever lived to age 29 (in human years)
- The only sweat glands a dog has are between the paw pads
I’m a dog nerd, I’m not gonna lie. I wake up every Saturday morning and watch “Dogs 101” on Animal Planet with my two Shit-zu’s before I leave for puppy class. We adore learning about different dog breeds and their characteristics, and ever since my Shit-zu’s learned they were bred to be foot warmers for Chinese royalty…my feet have never been toastier!
While definable characteristics can be found within each breed it’s important not to define every dog by breed alone. Don’t be ashamed to say your dog is a “Pitt-bull”, be proud to be a responsible owner of a Pit Bull, one of the most euthanized breeds in the United States.
Regardless of what your dog is mixed with, every dog deserves a loving home and the chance to have a well-balanced existence.Please take a moment to learn, share and support rescue dog Browney Bear, who had to have his leg amputated after being caught in a trap.